July 8, 2020
Yes, we get it. Bed shopping can be confusing — springs, cooling, pressure relief, mini springs, pocket springs, pocket in pocket springs arghhhh. Who knew there is so much tech involved. And, what’s with the huge price differences, how do you know you’re getting what you’re paying for??
With over 30 years of delivering Kiwis their best sleep, we’ve spoken to industry leaders and bed specialists to collate the top 5 considerations when starting your next bed search.
✔ Buy New Zealand Made.
- Exactly what it says. New. Zealand. Made. When you buy NZ made it means the manufacturing is local, ensuring you don’t experience delays, you’re not paying unnecessary shipping or duties and most importantly you can trust the quality of the components and processes. It also means you’re supporting local jobs.
- Check if the label says New Zealand Made, if it doesn’t, or it says something similar it’s probably not made here. If in doubt, ask your bed specialist.
✔ One size does not fit all.
- While a quick shipping, cheap option might seem like a fantastic deal for your pocket, think on this – we spend a third of our lives in bed. Sleep is as vital as exercise and a balanced diet so it’s important to get the right fit to your needs. A quality bed is weight tested prior to launch, designed specifically for individual and tailored support needs. Reputable bed makers have invested in the testing and data to support this. Having the right support for your body and sleep style is essential for a restorative sleep, which means we all have slightly different requirements from our mattress.
✔ Don’t judge a bed by its cover.
- The real magic of a mattress is under the hood, it’s all the elements you can’t see that matter. That’s why it’s so important to speak to a bed specialist to find out what makes the mattress sing. You wouldn’t buy a pair of specs off the shelf without assessing your vision, a car without test driving or even a house without thorough inspections.
✔ Do your homework
- We spend a third of our lives in bed, with our day and wellness governed by the quality of our sleep. It’s a decision worth weighing up and taking the time to get right. Convenience shouldn’t rate as a factor here; a quality bed, from a quality manufacturer will last a very long time.
- Ensure you test the feel of lots of different beds, research the technical details and if it sounds confusing speak to your bed specialist. Research the most popular beds. Have a good think about what it is you need from your bed. Do you have a bad back, and need good midline support? Do you get too warm in bed? Are you bothered by your partner's movements? Making a checklist before you start is a great way to stay clear on what it is you are looking for, when each bed starts to look the same.
✔ Trust your gut – credibility is key.
- Like anything, reputation is gold. Not just for peace of mind, but to know the business you are buying from has a long history in the bedding industry. It’s important to know, should something happen with your bed, you are covered, no questions asked.
- Ask your bed expert how long they’ve been in the industry and how they can find the best sleep for you. You want them to know beds inside and out and have been in the business for a long time. Customer service is key here, if a problem arises you want to speak directly to the store, to the person who assisted you.
It’s easy to see why an investment in quality, custom suited, world leading innovation is preferable than a cheap, convenience overseas solution. Discuss your budget with your bed specialist and ask about interest free payment arrangements.
You're a third of your life in bed, make it the right one.